Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Test

Finding the right words for this post might be a struggle. I'm a strong believer in cliche saying "what doesn't kill you will make you stronger". My mom is a walking test to this. Ten years now, and I can honestly say I don't recall a day when she complained about her cancer. Had her days, tests, and tears, yes. But never carried around that "pour pity me" attitude.
Cancer has been a big part of my life for some time now. Its almost as if when I hear the word, I'm numb to it. Just another step in life so to speak. When an unexpected friend stepped in and asked what I thought about throwing my mom a fundraiser, I jumped on the opportunity. Talk about a test. Its was a test to my parents, my strength, and my friendships. So interesting to see who comes through when you really need it, and who acts as though they could care less. In the end, the experience was very humbling, and the turn out was everything we had hoped for. I really can't thank those whos helped out enough.
To any of you going through what I am, stay strong. Thats my biggest advice. If you feel yourself about to break down, never do it around them. They feel guilty the way it is. Be there for them, love them, and support them. Surround yourself with amazing friends and tell yourself this really will make you stronger. Look up to people like my mom, who never stop fighting, and who never give up on "the test."


Our dinning room prior to set up. Just a FEW items!  

Two of the lovely ladies I couldn't have done without. Thank you so, so much!

Koozies we had made for the event. Little play on word action!

My mom, the Warrior.


No comments:

Post a Comment